Monday, October 25, 2010

Back to basics with the Classic Swirl

In honest I had one of those weekends where nothing went right, beginning with my printer having ‘issues’ so for my crafty time on the weekend I had to think back to the basics witch in a way suited the 365 Cards challenge for Saturday – Stamp a card with a matching envelope (the only one I had left to do to make it for the week).

I don’t have many rubber stamps either. In truth I have a cupcake birthday set and a fern swirl that actually isn’t mine as it’s borrowed from a friend (but I SOO LOVE IT and I think she will have to borrow it from me as I never want to part with it and I use it in nearly all my projects lol).
So rubber stamp fern swirl it was going to have to be and I was going to have to make it work – and I think I did.

I took 4 velum hearts and stamped them with the swirl and added both hot and light pink jewels to the ‘dots’ of the stamp image.  I edged & distressed the edges with hot pink ink and embossed them to make them curl like flower petals and then played with the hearts to interlock them to make a flower like everyone does with the spellbinders hearts (but I don’t have spellbinders :( – I DO NEED THEM though lol).  I added a silver flower button and highlighted it with hot pink jewels to make the flower centre. 

For the feature paper behind the flower I wanted to keep the swirl pattern in the card so I took some glitter gold swirl stickers and stuck them to wood grain embossed white and then backed that onto a handmade embossed gold and then matted it all on the wood grain white again and embellished with a think hot pink ribbon.

For the envelope I so wanted to keep the hot and light pink jewel feature going ... but ... expense wise it just was not practical and if the card was to go through the mail with how graciously Australia post handles our mail they would most likely get damaged, fall off or catch and tear the envelope open :( So ... I thought it best to go with hot pink Kindy Glitz instead and the result is just as nice.  Additionally for the envelope as I did not want the focus to be taken from the card so I stamped the swirl in charcoal and not black so the swirls are lighter in colour. 




All in all I think the card and the envelope came up really well and it could quite possibly be at the moment my favourite card.

Challenges
365 Cards – Day 237 – Stampin Saturday – Stamp on a card and stamp on an envelope to match.
(Woo HOO I did all 7 ! )

Fair winds and following seas.
The Navy Wife

1 Treasured comments:

Pam said...

Oh my, I love all the flourishes - fab card/envie combo!

Post a Comment