Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tutoral - How to make faux buttons

Morning folks :)  

Today I have a tutorial to share with you and
The Crafty Pad Challenge Blog
If you didn't know Bounty of Buttons is the TCP challenge this week! 

I love buttons! And I love the fancy shaped ones and I love to co-ordinate buttons on my projects with my creations and this is a great tutorial on how to achieve that perfect match with the two.  There are a few really good tutorials out there on the www on how to do this already but I thought I would share the way I make mine and how you can personalize your buttons even more to suit your needs and projects at the time.  

So here we go :) 

How to make Faux Buttons

Materials
Cardstock (scraps work well for this project)
Designer Paper (scraps work well for this project)
A punch in the shape of your desired button
Glue / glue stick
Clear embossing powder
Versamark Pad
Heat gun
Tweezers
Eyelet punch
Hammer

For this tutorial I am making heart shaped buttons that I have cut using the Silhouette Cameo.

The how to-
1. From the designer paper, punch or cut 1 of your buttons shapes.
2. From cardstock punch or cut 4 of your button shapes.  If you feel your cardstock is a little thin you can add another layer.
3. Glue the 4 cardstock buttons on top of each other and then on the top layer, glue on your cut designer paper shape.

 
4. If you would like to distress or ink the edges of your button do this now.  For this tutorial I have distressed the button edges and also added some faux stitching to my button.
5. Glue your button up on the Versamark Pad and then cover with clear embossing powder and heat.  You will need your tweezers here to hold your button.

6. Take your eyelet punch and hammer and make the button holes.
7.  Glue your button up again on the Versamark Pad and coat with another layer of clear embossing powder.   I usually find that 2 coats of embossing powder gives a nice result though you can do more coats if you would like, giving it a deeper dimensional look.

 8. Your faux button is now finished and ready for you to embellish your crafty project with!
 
As you can see here on this card using Snowmen from The Crafty Pad Designs . I have used the heart shaped button from this tutorial.  I have also made some smaller heart buttons from my heart punch using the same designer paper.  Chances of me having ever being able to find buttons with faux stitching in two different sized heart shapes I think would have been near impossible and highly likely expensive; but now we can all have buttons in any shape and color that our projects desire! 



Thanks for dropping by to see me and I hope you all enjoy the tut!
 
Challenges this creation is entering with the help of the Feline Playful Girls:
52 {Christmas} Card Throwdown - Color Challenge green & white  Sat
Tammy's Scrapin Corner - Anything goes with a touch of Green Mon E1/-
Crazy 4 Challenges - C4C132 Buttons Sat E1/?
Secret Crafter - Men's Card Sat 
Willow Sketch Challenge - Sketch and or Spots and Stripes Thurs E1/3
- - - - -

10 Treasured comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, These buttons are awesome. I love the snowmen as well. The tutorial is amazing. I am going to try this and thanks for the new technique.

Thanks for Entering the Challenge
At Tammy's Scrapin Corner.

Good Luck the Winner will be announced on Sunday Evening.

I hope to see you enter next week!!

cotnob said...

Fab card Leesa and great tutorial, really clear and precise. I agree it is nice to be able to co-ordinate your embellishments on projects, I never seem to have the right colour buttons.
Thank you for sharing with us at Willow Sketchie and following the theme this week.
Pauline
x

kelly ledder said...

Oh wow this is stunnning what a fab card! Thanks for joining us at Willow Sketchie this week.

Kelly x

Lisa Jane said...

what a brilliant tutorial.. i must have a go .. thank you
Lisa x

Judith said...

What a great tutorial Leesa- very straightforward - to the point and easy to follow - you have a talent for explaining - now can you come round and explain a few things to me .......!
hugs Judith x

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW Leesa this is brilliant what a great card, Love it, Thanks for playing on Willow Sketchie this week and also thanks for the tut, Love Hxxx

Sandra H said...

Thank you for your tutorial it was amazing and what a fabulous result too! your card is stunning:)x

Mau xx said...

This is Super Leesa, And love the idea of hearts instead of the plain round ones I have made...lol
Thanks for sharing xx
Hugs mau

Mynn xx said...

Fabulous technique, and fabulous card! LOVE the faux buttons! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :)

Karen Petitt said...

Gorgeous card, love the faux buttons and thank you for the tut! hugs Karen x

Post a Comment